Wednesday, October 11, 2017

NOT a social issue

     I really like a lot of things about the LDS (Mormon) Church. I have been a member now for over 40 years and the more I learn, the more I appreciate the basic tenets of this worldwide organization. Just a few of the elements I would commend to anyone: Mormon Helping Hands (we are really big on humanitarian aid and not just for other members), the encouragement to develop talents (more on that in a minute), good health due to abstinence from unhealthy things as well as encouragement for good nutrition and exercise, trustworthiness (many federal and law enforcement agencies like to recruit Mormons because of their lifestyle, knowledge of foreign languages, and general honesty), encouragement of endless education (we even do it at church). Children are not just tolerated but loved by all and respected and encouraged. Children in our church become accustomed to speaking in public starting at a very young age, generally 3 years old. We are constantly reminded that every single person is a child of God and has been given talents that we should develop. There are more pianos and harps per capita in Utah than any other state. It's not a big deal to expect at least one pianist, if not more, in any congregation of Mormons. Gradually the world is recognizing the many aspects of the LDS Church which are an influence for good. This is a vast improvement over the days when Mormons were tarred and feathered, their homes burned, their names sullied, families disowning them upon a decision to join, or even the infamous Missouri extermination order by a state governor.
     But none of these are the reason I am happy to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I chose to become a member and continue to be active because I believe in a Heavenly Father who loves His children and wants as many as possible to choose to live by His principles in an eternal peaceful kingdom. He has given us the opportunity to know Him through intimate prayer, public teaching, and personal study of the words of prophets ordained by Him to have authority to speak in His name. He then provides an opportunity for us to make covenants with Him whereby we promise to obey and be His children and He promises EVERYTHING. It's an essential first step to want part of all He has to offer, but it's only the first step. If we want to eat at the grown-ups' table, we have to be willing to grow up. That means repentance which is basically a genuine intent to change: develop talents, give up sins, and obey righteous principles. We have to do more than just hope and want to live with Him. He said that He cannot look upon sin with the least degree of allowance. He is willing to forgive and will love and encourage. But we have to do our part.

No comments: