Thursday, December 07, 2017

Covenants: weekly renewal

     Near the end of our Savior's mortal ministry, he instituted the ordinance we call "the sacrament" which is partaking of wine/water and bread "in remembrance" of Him. Today it is done in a variety of ways by various religious groups. The main purpose continues to be to remember: remember Jesus Christ, what He did for every single one of the people on this planet and to remember our own covenants that we made when baptized. There are countless scriptures referring to it. I am going to give a couple of quotes from people today which are not available in our canonized scriptures.
     What does the name of Christ and that covenant mean? The most frequent single meaning of the scriptures that refer to the name of the Lord seem to mean the work of the Lord- His work, His atonement, His mission..... Everyone who covenants that they are willing to take upon them the name of  Christ is saying 'I will handle my share of that great mission, and my share is what I am called to do.' (Dallin H. Oaks, currently serving as one of the Twelve Apostles)
     "In many denominations, it would be thought odd that the sacrament of the Lord's supper is offered every week. Yet the Latter Day Saints know that imperfect beings must regularly reaffirm their personal goal of perfection, being justified in the meaning by the atonement of Christ. Accordingly, each week we come before the Lord as we prepare for the sacrament and say essentially, 'Heavenly Father, I wasn't perfect again this week, but I repent of my sins and reaffirm my commitment to keep all the commandments. I promise to go back and try again with all my heart, might, mind, and strength. I still want and need the cleansing that comes through faith, repentance, and baptism. Please extend my contract, my covenant of baptism, and grant me the continued blessings of the Atonement and the companionship of the Holy Ghost.' " (Stephen E. Robinson)
     I wish it weren't as easy as it is to forget something so important as a covenant with God.... but it is. Despite our best efforts, we get caught up in the world we can see, touch, hear, and feel with our mortal senses. I am grateful for a weekly reminder of who I am, what I have promised, where I am going from here, and who is at the other end.

No comments: