When drawing or painting a still life in art class, the results will differ slightly among the students. Depending on the angle of sight, one may not depict the grapes hidden from view by a bowl. One may show the handle of a pitcher that is unseen by another. Because humans are each unique and different from each other in various aspects, our perspectives are different. This can be enriching, giving us insights we wouldn't otherwise have, but it can also be frustrating as we try to communicate or work together. It somehow still surprises me when a conversation with someone close to me is less than clear and smooth because words can mean different things to different people and what we picture or remember can be so varied. Sometimes it seems like one of us is painting the bowl of fruit and pitcher while the other is painting the table it sits on, or the tablecloth on the table or even the window in the wall behind it! The struggle to understand each other is so frustrating!
I tend to be a "hide my head in the sand" type of reactor. It seems the only answer is to avoid the whole situation/conversation/relationship. But that doesn't really work, especially if the other person is someone living in the same house or having regular contact with me. I used to try to explain my reasoning but I have found that others can interpret that as uninteresting or even annoying and accuse me of merely justifying a seemingly erroneous thought or action or trying to "convert" them to my way of thinking. That's not really my goal. I only seek to understand why we can't seem to agree or even have a peaceful discussion. I hope that by explaining my thinking, they can figure out how I got where I am or see where our paths might coincide. My greatest desire is to be able to see where others "are coming from" to better understand or have empathy for them.
The Lord has said, "Be one even as the Father and I are one" and "If ye are not one, ye are not mine". So I really, really want to be one with others who are seeking peace and harmony, even if we are not the same. I want to love and be loved even though we are different. I really don't mean to be annoying and I don't want to make anyone else a clone of me. I tried to teach my children the truth to the very best that I could find or understand it: The world is round, not flat. Smoking is bad for you. You need to eat fruits and vegetables because cookies and chicken don't give you the vitamins your body needs. Watching endless tv or playing endless video games gives you a warped view of other people and the world around you. It's easier to find things in an orderly room than in a messy room. -
The list goes on and on. I have wanted to leave any place I have been in better shape than when I arrived. I pick up litter, even if it's not mine. I wash dishes when needed. I try to comfort those who stand in need of comfort or give guidance to those who are lost.
I just can't figure out how to relate to someone who sees the tablecloth when I am looking at the fruit bowl. I don't know how to be able to carry on a conversation about meaningful things when I have only my perspective to go on and others are so different.
No comments:
Post a Comment