Our brains are who we are- they contain memories and instigate ideas as well as cause action in any part of our body from our mouth to our feet. When we do or think something repeatedly, the neural pathway created is strengthened, like forming a habit- A leads to B leads to C, etc. I am grateful for modern technology. My family is spread all over the world and without the internet I would be hard-pressed to keep up regular or quick communication with my children, grandchildren, or siblings. I have found Facebook to be a handy tool for group communication and have enjoyed seeing pictures and have gotten important messages through this tool. However, my biggest objection to Facebook is that it tends to deepen neural pathways that may be unhealthy to us. For instance, if someone has had a bad experience with another person, often they begin to distrust or even dislike other people based on a similar characteristic: gender, ethnicity, political view, occupation, religion, or even name! On Facebook, the algorithm used connects us repeatedly with things we choose to "like" and avoids things we don't express a preference for. As a result, we may read a disproportionate number of items which support our view while avoiding a wider perspective. This process tends to enhance disparity and prejudice. Rather than be introduced to a little different line of thinking, we are more deeply entrenched in our habitual reaction; justified in our current prejudice.
Facebook is not the only bad influence leading to toward prejudice. A similar result occurs in people who never leave their neighborhood/town/state. They develop the idea that there is only one way to do or think so when faced with someone different, they immediately feel threatened or repulsed. When we participate in cordial, respectful albeit lively discussions with people of a different view, it can be very educational. We broaden our understanding and become less self-centered or even contentious as we consider that, just maybe, we don't always know everything. We formulate opinions every day and that's as it should be. Without opinions we are lacking a firm foundation and can be easily misguided or feel lost. However, it is helpful to at least consider another's view that may be different from our own. I don't care for the hairstyles of some of my grandchildren but I enjoy talking to them and appreciate their honesty, compassion for others, and willingness to help. I don't always agree with political views of others but I like to hear their justifications in order to broaden my understanding of the issues. I may not dress or eat like someone else does but it's enlightening to know there are options beyond what I have known. Roses, daisies, daffodils, lilacs, pansies- they're all beautiful and different from each other. There is no need to attempt to establish which is superior, no competition. They're all uniquely wonderful.
No comments:
Post a Comment