![]() |
| The picture is, unfortunately a bit fuzzy maybe because I was shivering in the cold wind. |
Join us as we chronicle the journey that this life takes us on, and as we always strive to move forward with faith.
Saturday, November 17, 2018
Agriculture and animals in Ireland
I plan to do a later blog on the potato famine and what I learned but, suffice it to say, there are no large fields of grain like in central USA. There are LOTS of small vegetable gardens and fruit orchards. There are no herds of buffalo or large herd of cattle or horses. The pig in the photo above was definitely healthy! He was a breed of "grazing pig" which I guess is somewhat unusual. I was also impressed by how "healthy" the cows looked. I suppose it could be their furry coats at this time of year but they just really looked more aware, more robust, and just better specimens than what I have observed in the US during my life.
As we drove around the western part of Ireland, sheep were plentiful everywhere. As I have mentioned before, there are stone fences creating large separations of the open lands but even with the fences, the sheep manage to wander. I even saw a cow grazing as it stood on one stone fence that had been overgrown with sod! Just as branding is used to differentiate one owner's cow or horse from another, the sheep were marked in a strikingly colorful way-
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment