Saturday, December 02, 2006

Lithuania's last stand

I don't know if we have overused our space here or what but I don't seem to have the option of posting another picture. It might be only temporary so I'll check another day. In the last (next down) blog there is a picture of the ampitheater in the park. Behind it you can see a tower. That is a very special place here. That is the only tv transmission tower in Vilnius. For those who may not know Lithuanian history that is the site of the last stand against the Soviets. There was a protest of several thousand people again demanding Lithuanian independence. As in most of those conflicts they were unarmed and staring down Soviet tanks. Sixteen people were killed at the base of that tower but it opened the way for the Soviet withdrawal and Lithuanian independence. There is a revolving restaurant in the top which we intend to visit sometime for a meal but so far there hasn't been a day that you could see anything from there due to the fog and clouds. This picture was taken on one of the clearer days.

No comments: