Thursday, March 08, 2007

Thoughts on the Middle East

These pictures may seem to be totally unrelated but they actually have something in common. The jet engine strapped to the truck is from our son-in-law who thought this method for cleaning off a runway in Iraq was interesting. We agree.
He was in Iraq, flying around in a helicopter inspecting airports for a couple of weeks. We were very happy that he returned safely, especially considering that during that same time there were a couple of fatal helicopter incidents in Iraq. The other picture, our older son's lovely family, was taken so he would have a family picture to take with him. He has been requested to return to his old post in Amman, Jordan (we visited them there when their little girl was born) to help expedite Iraqi visas. We're glad he won't be in the embassy in Baghdad but that whole area of the world seems to a festering pool of anger and bloodshed. As much as I don't want my son or my sons-in-law over there in harm's way or even close, I keep hoping that the efforts to bring peace and stability will not be entirely useless. I know the scriptures are full of warnings for these times that are evident everywhere: wars and rumors of wars, earthquakes in diverse places, men's hearts waxing cold, the sea over-running its bounds, etc. But, among the hateful warmongers, there are good people who want nothing more than to have a happy family living in a peaceful place being good citizens and doing their part to make their little corner of the world a better place. I'm glad for compassionate people, American or otherwise, who want to help those people. I pray continually for their safety and success.

No comments: