Friday, October 24, 2008

I am driving from Dayton to Batavia (near Cincinnati) at least two times a week. It's about a 60 mile trip each way and can take anywhere from 70 to 120 minutes. Before moving here, I never really thought about Dayton, Ohio. I certainly never thought of it as a heavy traffic urban area. Yet, each time I have made this trip, either way, there are vehicles 2-3 lanes across, bumper to bumper in each direction! Even when I made the midnight trip last week- actually about 1 am, the highway was far from empty. Where is everybody going?! I realize that I am one of the "everybody" on the road. Most of the vehicles contain just one person, as does mine. The cost of fuel has dropped dramatically, thank goodness, but even when it was hovering near $4 a gallon, the traffic was still heavy. We know the availability of fossil fuels is limited. We really need to figure out another way to get around. I really don't see that happening with our current lifestyle. The downtown area of Dayton, like most cities, is pretty empty after the work day. People and businesses they frequent after work hours have moved to the suburbs. We have a drugstore within walking distance of our house, which is not truly "downtown". If we want to walk more than a block, we can go to Arby's, KFC, or even a Wendy's or Dollar Store if we really feel like a good walk. There is a hospital just up the block from us but our doctor is 1/2 hour drive away. There is a church about 3 blocks away but it's not the one we attend. Our post office is about a ten minute drive away but our postal carrier is kind enough to take away any letters I put out to be mailed. I keep trying to figure out how to use the car less. I just don't have any idea how I, or anyone else, can do without a car. Eventually, we'll be forced to. If I'm lucky, that will happen for my grandchildren or great-grandchildren. I guess that will be our legacy to them- along with the unfathomably huge national debt. I hope they're smarter than we are. I feel guilty about it but don't know how to fix it. I'll just continue to teach them all I know and encourage them to learn more. I don't think it will matter who the President is. We'll still have the problems.

No comments: