Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Picturesque Potsdam


Aha- I figured out how to get the picture on top that I want on top! This afternoon, while the weather is sunny and pleasant, we went on a river/lake cruise in Potsdam. Above you can see us getting on the boat. Then the two pictures below are just two of the lovely castles that have been built along the water.
The one above is apparently undergoing some cleaning or restoration. It is currently being used as a fine restaurant.
They were all built by some person of royal position. Most of them in the late 1800's or early 1900's. If I had been royalty during that time, I would have wanted a residence in this gorgeous area, too. There are 2 lakes connected by a river and with several canals going off the sides. The area is primarily used for recreation now. At one time there was fishing and other industries along the water that used barges for transportation. Today there were lots of sailboats, motor boats, big tour boats, canoes, people swimming, and it was all very beautiful. There are some bridges connecting islands and crossing the waterways in several places. One of the bridges was one we saw when we were here before, called the "spy bridge" because it ended up right on the line between East and West after WWII and was used as an exchange place to return captured spies during the Cold War. Even wars that are "cold" are unpleasant.

No comments: