Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Summer Palace


Okay, this is really bugging me. I know I downloaded these photos in a different order than they came out. Oh well, I will adjust my narrative accordingly. The picture above was taken when we were last here in Berlin for Christmas 2009. James and Susanne brought us to the summer palace because it is famous, even though the gardens were not very lovely at that time of year. I put this picture in to show the difference to what we got to see this time. The photo below shows a few of the flowers there.

This bottom photo shows a similar view to the picture on the top, only much greener.
On the grounds of the palace is a building called the Orangerie where the king had orange trees (hence the name) along with other exotic plants to supply food for residents of the palace. When we visited this time, the grounds in front of the palace were profuse with edible plants: herbs, chard, cabbages, edible flowers, etc.- all very lovely and ornamental. It was tempting to grab some samples to take home!

No comments: