Monday, June 30, 2014

Studying war

No visit to Hawaii is really complete without going to Pearl Harbor. There are lots of different reasons for going there. As we spent the day touring the USS Missouri, the Bowfin submarine, and riding out to the USS Arizona Memorial, I pondered the whole "war memorial" thing. I am more grateful than I can express for the suffering on all levels of the men and women who serve in the military. I have uncles that served in the Korean War, a brother that served in the Army in Viet Nam, a husband that served in the Navy, and sons-in-law that currently serve in the Air Force. They all have families who survived their absence as well as their return with all the inherent issues involved. 
 I had a line from an old spiritual repetitively run through my head, "ain't gonna study war no more". And I thought about the saying, "Those who refuse to study history are doomed to repeat it." Again, I say there are many reasons for studying war and many different feelings about doing so.
Personally, I go to war memorials to be able to better understand what serving in the military involves so I can better appreciate the efforts and sacrifices of others. I don't like the History channel on tv because it seems to focus primarily on war and I prefer to think there is more to the history of humankind than war, its machines, events, heroes, and villains. As I watched videos and looked at all the technology of war at Pearl Harbor I couldn't help but think, "It's all about death and destruction." We need to remember wars so we can remember the cost in suffering, loss, and rebuilding. I fear that often the study of war is for the purpose of "improving" it- trying to kill more of the other team and fewer of your own, rather than solidifying a determination to find other ways to resolve conflict. I am all for defending against bullies and am not  what might be called a pacifist. I believe in having weapons because there are lots of bad people who have weapons and they would be content to destroy the lives of every person on the face of the earth to gain more power and wealth. The ultimate answer, however, is not just to get more and bigger and better weapons. The answer is to reflect more seriously on our inner desires and justifications. If we lust after fame or money we are likely to justify some level of "war" on one or more human beings. If we desire peace and unity and can embrace diversity of culture, we will strive to live in such a way as to help rather than harass, learn rather than inhibit, and practice policies that avoid as much as possible the harm or offense of others. In other words, live by the Golden Rule- Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. It may sound trite. I wish we could just bury all weapons. But the reality is, we are far from the goodness and maturity necessary to be without defenses. If all the weapons were buried, there are far too many who would start all over with the sticks and stones graduating to clubs and spears and on to guns then bombs, etc. But I'm still determined to teach, preach, and encourage self-control and sincere self-analysis to build a people with the capacity and potential to live in peace and unity. That's why Jesus Christ is my hero.

No comments: