Growing up is hard. I guess I'm not suggesting the only alternative. I'm just saying that it's hard to go through the total self-involvement we humans wallow in through a large portion of our mortal existence. For some people, they manage to look outward developing compassion, forgiveness, and awareness at a relatively young age. Some may not think beyond their own limitations until their death bed, if even then. We each grow up struggling to discover who we are: what's inside, what we like about ourselves and others, what we believe in, what we want or hope for. For most people, that self-exploration occurs between the ages of 8-10 and 20-25. It's when we recognize we are separate from our parents and start looking around at all the options. For many people, unless they have really unusual circumstances, the perspective they develop is pretty limited. Some people never travel more than 100 miles from where they were born. Some people spend time only with people with similar lifestyles, customs, and beliefs to their own. We often begin to form strong opinions based on very little actual experience or information. We gravitate to those who think like we do so we limit what we discuss and read to things we are interested in rather than exploring beyond our "comfort zone". Of course, there is the other extreme of those who are so determined to be "open-minded" that they throw out the baby with the bath water. I remember telling one of my children, during those turbulent teenage years, that forming opinions based strictly on rebelling (basically choosing anything and everything to be the opposite of their parents) is just as blind as following along with everything and anything your parents tell you. You can actually consider the teachings of parents, teachers, ecclesiastical leaders or any authority figure close to you and decide to agree with them with full purpose and understanding while continuing to be unique. We are really rarely "clones" of each other. It takes a pretty mindless person to go along with any other person without exception of thought or opinion.
I would offer the suggestion that is presented in the scriptures: "By their fruits ye may know them." We need to open our hearts and minds- and keep them open- yet constantly judge for ourselves if the actions and words of someone else are what we want to emulate. It's not fair or truthful to criticize someone for being a bigot or narrow-minded then think that we avoid that characteristic simply by choosing the opposite side of the political/religious/moral issue with similar anger, name-calling, or vehemence. I think Jesus offered lots of examples of how to respond and behave, if that's the kind of hero someone wants. We need to be tolerant but still call sin, sin. Think of the story of the woman who was going to be stoned for adultery when Jesus told those surrounding her to cast the first stone if they were without sin then after they all left He told her to go her way and sin no more- He didn't just hug her or pat her on the back and tell her what she was doing was okay. We need to be loving but not encourage others to behave in ways that will ultimately cause sorrow. We need to seek guidance from the Spirit in discerning right from wrong and not just go along with whoever makes the best argument or because we want to justify ourselves or someone else in choices being made. There are things that have a right and wrong and there are things that don't matter. We need to seek the wisdom to know which is which. We can enlarge our perspective by opening our minds and hearts to ideas and opinions that may be new or different. But if we don't make a decision and stick to it once in awhile, we become wishy-washy and mindless. Jesus referred to that as building a house on sand rather than on a rock. Opening our minds and listening to others allows us to validate another person and maybe gain some understanding as to their words or actions. However, it may be really a mistake to be so sympathetic as to encourage them in doing something that would ultimately be a mistake in their eternal progression.
All of this takes time, effort, and experience. I'm certainly not there yet! I just want to recommend that we be really careful as to what ideas we promote. We will get to spend eternity with anyone who chooses to be like us or vice-versa. Satan thought it would be a good idea to not have so many rules and regulations so EVERYBODY could be "saved". I kind of like knowing there are rules to limit choices. When I get to a stoplight, I like it that if I have a green light I can go and those who have a red light will stop. It works to avoid crashes. I don't feel at all hindered in my independence because I can't just go when I feel like it wherever I feel like it. I also like the idea of having a teacher who can warn me of choices which might result in tragedy so I don't have to learn everything by trial and error. I'm grateful for a loving Father in Heaven who wants to help me grow and develop. I'm grateful for a Savior who has paid the price for me so by merely accepting His gift, repenting sincerely, and striving to be better all the time, I can be with Him and my Father forever. It's not easy but it's worth it.
No comments:
Post a Comment