The beginning of the parade was a fairly large group of teenagers in costumes, all playing kazoos. They played Halloween-appropriate melodies and were surprisingly in tune. I liked it that even kids, at the age when being "cool" and impressing peers is the most important thing, were into the spirit of the whole small-town fun.
One of the big hits of the parade was the "Ghost Busters" with a guy walking in front, dressed with the outfit and gear to rid places of unwanted haunters, followed by a real "ghost busters" car playing the theme song on a continuous loop. The whole event is totally family-friendly and fun for everybody no matter what age! The kids had fun parading their costumes but lots of adults had some pretty amazing make-up and costumes. There were adults dressed as Minnie and Mickey Mouse walking along handing out candy. A girl about 4 or 5 years old was drawn by the familiarity and walked right out into the street to walk near them. She was dressed as Minnie Mouse, too- a miniature version of the adult in the parade! A Chinese dragon came along made of a large cardboard head followed by lots of people under sheets that had been tied together one after another. When I realized it was all site missionaries, I tried to take a picture but I was unsuccessful running along trying to get ahead of them then finding a place to stand where I could get a picture.
I was more successful getting a picture of these site missionaries with our own historic Nauvoo horses and wagon. It was just a comforting feeling that our LDS missionaries were so much a part of supporting this community event- more volunteer work done by good people who spend all day every day volunteering their time and energy.



No comments:
Post a Comment