Friday, October 23, 2015

What is fruit?

     As temples or tabernacles in the days of Moses and Aaron, temples today are full of symbolism. The mortal Jesus Christ spoke to people but many had eyes and did not see or ears and could not hear. Even with the aid of the Holy Ghost I have read scriptures and heard or said sacred ordinances hundreds of times without perceiving all the layers of meanings God would have me learn. Today in the temple I thought about "fruit". Artists have painted Adam and Eve in a lush garden holding an apple. Many people have spent their whole lives only considering that Eve took a physical bite out of a literal piece of fruit which magically gave her the ability to know good from evil. (It didn't pass on to her kids too well- or maybe Cain was just that wicked from the start.) Could there be more to this event that took place several millennia ago? The scriptures are full of references to "fruit" that don't mean apples or figs. The "fruit of the womb/body" refers to children/offspring. In Proverbs "fruit of their own way" is mentioned as well as "my fruit is better than gold". Jesus Himself said, "Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance", and, "Beware of false prophets...Ye shall know them by their fruits." (I don't think He was hinting they would have peach stands or apple orchards.) In the Book of Mormon the prophet Lehi has a dream about a tree "whose fruit was desirable to make one happy." When his son Nephi later wants to see and understand that dream, he is told that it was a representation of "the love of God." So what might the fruit that Satan beguiled Eve into eating be symbolic of?? I have my own ideas but I am not a prophet, seer or revelator so I am not going to attempt to define the "tree" or "fruit" in the Garden of Eden. I only want to put forth the challenge to think more deeply. There is more available to us than what we can see, hear, or touch. God put the "breath of life" into Adam. Today's medical technology can use machines to breathe or even circulate blood for humans. But mortal men cannot create a living human in a laboratory strictly from a cell or two made by a scientist. What makes a human-- human? What is the spark that causes the tiny being to begin breathing, seeing, learning, reacting? Is it naive or ignorantly superstitious to have faith in a supreme being? Or are we more ignorant or naive to think we are the cream of the crop- the most intelligent creature there is? I admit there are wide variations of  concepts defining God. If He exists, and I know He does, He certainly would have the power to let you know exactly who He is. Sure, there are mysteries but knowing the God who created us is not something He would withhold as a mystery from His children. He tells us to knock or seek and we can know for ourselves. I truly identify with the prophet Lehi in the Book of Mormon "And as I partook of the fruit thereof it filled my soul with exceeding great joy; wherefore I began to be desirous that my family should partake of it also; for I knew that it was desirable above all other fruit."

No comments: