Sunday, September 11, 2016

Liberty or Security (Russ)

        Benjamin Franklin is reported to have said, "any man who is willing to sacrifice liberty for security deserves neither." We LDS members believe this was the subject of the war in heaven before we came to earth. We also believe that all those who have come to earth chose the Father's plan of agency (liberty) over Satan's plan of no loses (security). We saw the wisdom of allowing us to make choices so we could learn to distinguish good from evil. We could not learn this if evil were not allowed to exist. I believe Satan proposed his plan with the best of intentions, "not one would be lost". I seems to me that many of us who once understood the wisdom of agency have now changed our minds. When faced with the reality of the risks involved, we have been frightened into wanting to surrender our agency in return for the promise of security. We have been warned repeatedly from the pulpit by our general authorities of the danger of socialism. (security) The church welfare system was begun to eliminate the curse of the doll. President David O. McKay said, " next to the bestowal of life itself, the right to direct that life is God's greatest gift to man."
       Just as I don't believe that Satan had bad intentions, I don't believe that those who support socialism have bad intentions either. The problem is the promise is never fulfilled. LBJ was correctly motivated to provide aide to unwed mothers. What could be more loving and generous than that? The result?  73% of black households are of single mother parentage resulting in what we see in the streets today. Yes, there are many risks to giving men liberty and God knew this. That is why he provided a savior for those who saw the error of their ways and learned from them. My son was killed falling off a motorcycle without a helmet. I still do not support mandatory helmet laws. Would he be alive today if he had worn one? Possibly, but the choice was his to make and that is as it should be.
       In the same way Satan said "give me thine honor". Socialists say, "Give me your resources". Conservatives give more of their personal wealth to charity than to liberals so it is not a lack of compassion. It is an understanding of the bigger picture. How can we learn the proper way to direct our lives if someone else does all the directing? Remember there is a safety net at the end called the atonement. Agency is the prime directive of the universe given by God himself. Don't allow Satan to scare you into giving it up.
        I have tried very hard not to make this "political" but philosophical instead. I believe I am on solid gospel ground here. If God himself will not interfere with our freedom of choice who are we to do otherwise?    Enough said, I have tried to make my point.

No comments: