Thursday, September 15, 2016

Standing on a wall

     I have expressed more than once my consternation over people doing wicked things. I have a hard time reading about or watching films depicting war, prisoner of war camps, slavery, prejudice, abuse or anything like unto it. Recently I was reading in scriptures about a group of people who had recently made the choice to follow Jesus Christ. Living in the same area at the same time was a group of people called "Gadianton Robbers", because they made their living stealing but were also prone to other wicked behavior. They were a real plague to the general populace. They were kind of like the mafia in that you either supported them or they made your life miserable. When I noticed a part I hadn't considered before- "And it came to pass that the Lamanites did hunt the band of robbers of Gadianton; and they did preach the word of God among the more wicked part of them, insomuch that this band of robbers was utterly destroyed from among the Lamanites." (Helaman 6:37) Oh my gosh- they destroyed the wicked band of men among them by converting them! Most of my life I have heard things like "If you want to permanently get rid of an enemy, make him your friend", but here is an example of doing just that. It got me thinking seriously about what I should/could be doing. I have found that I avoid spending time with people who live a very different lifestyle than I do. I am uncomfortable with drugs, drinking alcohol, smoking, swearing, violence, rude behavior,etc. Those who choose those behaviors are generally uncomfortable with me, as well. When I was talking to my daughter, Angela, about this scripture, I mentioned my admiration for what the Lamanites had done and my quandary about how to help in encouraging people to change for the better when I tend to avoid their company. Her response was praiseworthy to say the least. She said, "You just need to love them enough." I really feel that I do love them, but I avoid contention and discomfort. I guess that's inevitable under the circumstances. However, there are people I know well and love very much who choose behavior that makes me uncomfortable. I know the world would be a much better place if everyone followed the example of Jesus Christ's behavior, even if they didn't actually believe that He is the Son of God. During His short mortal life, He was kind, helpful, loving, forgiving, yet he stood firmly for righteous choices even in the face of ridicule or hatred. I don't seek to be a martyr. I only want to help other humans to see a better way to live so we could have a better world.
     One very memorable "Lamanite" was named Samuel. He tried to warn people that they were going to regret the way they were living. He tried to tell them what they could expect to happen. Most of them didn't want to listen, but a few did. He stood on top of a wall and spoke loudly crying repentance. That's what prophets do. But all of us who have chosen to be the Lord's followers are expected to share our testimonies. My Lord has said, "Feed my sheep." These days there aren't many city walls to stand on. If I did, I would be considered a looney-tune. All I can do is pray for opportunities to share my belief in living up to our divine potential as children of God. I keep writing this blog with the hope that someone, even just one, will read something that will help them to overcome whatever natural man in them is an enemy to God, repent, and choose the better way. The Lord has defined for us that we can know if a man repents because he admits his errors and forsakes them. What errors? That is up to each one to determine. A prophet/king in the Book of Mormon said, "I cannot tell you all the things whereby you may commit sin; for there are divers ways and means, even so many that I cannot number them." (Mosiah 4:29) If anyone is sincere about improving their relationship with Heavenly Father along with all of the good people who are striving for the same goal, they can find out what they have to change. God is happy to guide us and help us where we're weak. We only have to want to- and ask.

No comments: