Much as we would like to consider ourselves flexible in adapting to surroundings, familiarity and comfort do not happen quickly or easily. No matter how nice a new neighborhood is, it takes awhile to get to know the people around you. No matter how much you like a new job, it takes awhile to get acclimated to the surroundings and responsibilities associated with it. Marriage and family are simply a never-ending cause for adjustments as people change individually, new babies enter the family, older teens leave the family, etc. I had several occasions to be a leader at Girls Camp (LDS short summer camp for young women). Many girls came "kicking and screaming" to have the opportunity to live in the rough (more or less, depending on the stake and campsite). Yet, very few girls left without some reluctance to leave the people they had gotten close to and the feelings they felt. The final evening was usually a testimony meeting and usually there were few dry eyes. I just took a few days of adjusting from their normal daily routines and becoming familiar with the rhythm of camp.
Over the past 40+ years, I have noticed a similar adjustment in attending the temple. When we first started going to the temple, we usually would go for 2 days since it was to far to drive for just a session or two. It took the first half a day, at least, to "shut out" the world. There is so much in our lives to plan, worry about, schedule, and decide. Focusing on eternity just doesn't happen in the first several hours of being in the temple. I have been deeply affected by the light that comes into my mind in the temple but it generally requires time. My mind continues to focus on work needing to be done, errands to run, worries about family members, plans to make, and fears about various problems for the first several hours in the temple. Even though it's quiet and peaceful, my mind continues to be busily preoccupied with "Babylon" rather than heaven or Zion. I can understand why some LDS members choose to serve repeated missions. While on the Lord's errand, the Spirit is so strong. Once back in the world, the Spirit can feel elusive. I was nearly constantly enlightened and uplifted during our mission in the Nauvoo temple. I could actually witness the Lord's hand nearly every single day. I felt my mind expand and open to understanding and peace and love. It was wonderful and I really miss it. We go to the temple now but it's about an hour away and we go for two successive sessions (a total of 4 hours) and it's much harder to sense the still, small voice. I want so badly to focus on heaven instead of Babylon! I yearn for the peace and love and enlightenment the Spirit brings. I can resort to blame, but it's truly me that has to make the concerted effort, no matter what is going on around me. It's just hard.
No comments:
Post a Comment