I wonder if ethics/morality has always been as hot an issue as it seems to be right now. There are so many scenarios on my mind resulting in bewilderment. I sincerely wish I could sit down with a group (not too large) of people, all of different backgrounds and political opinions to talk it out, hopefully peacefully although there would likely be strong emotions in the process. I'm glad there are people who stick up for females who have been misused, sexually or otherwise. I am also glad there are people who stick up for people, no matter their station in society, who have been accused without proof. I am not glad that too many will listen to opinions given by celebrities and get very upset over statements made to generate support-whether political or financial or greater fame. I am not glad that too many people are willing to jump on bandwagons and react due to prior judgments made about general categories of people (gender, political leanings, envy, personal experiences that may or may not even be the same) screaming and carrying signs stating obvious general statements.I am not glad that some people will "stand by their man" no matter what he or she has done, wanting to claim only the good without being willing to admit the bad.
The world is very open and available these days which is a good thing and a bad thing. I'm grateful that dictators, immoral leaders or celebrities, and those motivated by any criminal intent can no longer hide- at least not for long. Witnesses can cry from distant, strictly controlled regions of the world and get attention. In some cases, threats can be distinguished simply by openly informing the public. On the other hand, when someone chooses to take advantage of a willingness to speak and act out against wrongdoing, they only have to insinuate an action taken by someone at some time in their life, even if repented of. I am in no way trying to promote a limit to justice. If a murderer is caught 50 years later, there should certainly be a severe consequence paid. On the other hand, if a person did something stupid, even reckless when young and has done their best to repent, never doing the wrong deed again, they should not be vilified. How can anyone who has committed a crime ever get beyond it? How can ex-cons ever get a job? I believe in justice, but also mercy.
I don't want to focus on just one area of morality. I actually determined to compose this blog due to the aftermath of Hurricane Florence. I don't want to single out any one person or try to judge anyone, my quandary is mostly- what would I do?? What would I do in the place of any survivor? What would I do in the place of government or private agencies that have to put policies in place? There are funds available to those who have experienced loss. There are insurance claims left and right, many being denied due to large deductibles (chosen by insured who were trying to save on monthly expenses) or to a fine print exclusion for their situation. ( I understand that insurance companies need to make a profit to survive.) There are people who rush in to "help"- some sincere and others hoping to take advantage of desperate people. I am aware of personal situations of people who lost everything but their lives and whatever they had with them. Their way to make a living has been destroyed. They no longer have a home and no place local to spend long periods trying to "get back on their feet", small business owners whose property and inventory is all gone. On the other hand, there are people who may have been fairly inconvenienced but they haven't really experienced a major loss. On the other hand, there are those who were quite well-to-do before the hurricane (or other disaster) and may have "lost" a considerable amount of money worth of property but have no difficulty "surviving"- only being able to live according to their custom of lifestyle. It will just take a little time for them to make enough money and buy enough stuff to recover. This has caused me to reflect on another difference between socialism and capitalism. I believe people should be able to work hard to "get up in the world" and chase their dreams. On the other hand, I believe having property all over the world, several cars, and worldly goods beyond even the imagination of someone in parts of Africa, South America, Asia, island nations etc, is a bit over the top. Why should someone make billions of dollars(more than most people would even know how to spend) a year when there are people who have nothing? How should a billionaire be stopped or even limited from making more money? On the other hand, why should someone who could work and is unwilling or unable due to personal bad choices (drug addiction comes to mind) expect someone else who is working hard to support themselves and their children to give them a hand-out?
I really wish I could have a sincere, caring discussion about how to recognize the right and wrong in every situation. I look forward to gaining wisdom. I think it will take eternity.
1 comment:
Mary, I can't imagine the tragedy from this Hurricane, and also know folks who lost their homes and didn't have insurance. I don't know them well enough to know how they will endure. I won't even call my insurance company to help with the 2 trees down cost to clear, well I should call but thinking the deductible will nullify. I get what you were saying about the politics right now, we are so divided, there is right and wrong and its pretty clear. Keep writing, what a wonderful journal you have.
Post a Comment