Thursday, February 28, 2019

Lemonade out of lemons

     Having acid reflux is not very pleasant, however I have come to appreciate the positive aspects of this inconvenience. I have to avoid eating large portions or late in the evening- both of which may not be helping me to lose any weight but it more likely ensures I won't gain anything. Rather than risking gaining weight from holiday or other "splurges", I have to maintain sensible eating. I don't have to strain my will power to avoid overeating and greasy, fatty foods are not even tempting.
     When I achieved a relatively large stature at a younger age than other girls, I was sometimes embarrassed or frustrated by being big. Nearly everything about me has been bigger than other females, except perhaps those who are unusually tall or truly obese. I always thought it would be nice to be a petite female- at least more attractive. However, I have realized that my size has enabled me to do lots of things that other females and even some males can't do. I love being able to help people who are moving.I like not needing to get a footstool to reach the upper cupboards. I can work in the yard, which I love, for hours. I can even move my own furniture around if I feel like rearranging.
     I love my family members dearly. Growing up I lived near most of my dad's family and saw them regularly. I raised my children for the most part in that same area. Now we are literally spread all over the globe. I miss seeing my aunts and uncles, cousins, and especially my children and grandchildren. I have frequently bemoaned the lack of opportunities to interact with family members. However, it's almost exclusively due to the need to travel to be with family that has given me the rich experience of seeing cities, states, and countries that I have always hope to visit. I love sharing stories of our incredible experiences as we have traveled to many places. It's fun to see or hear about places all over the world and be able to say, "I've been there!" Most of our travels have required only transportation to get to and fro. We have had welcoming places to stay and been fed and made comfortable with little to no effort on our part. We have even had personal tour guides!
     I often feel like I'm a "party pooper" because I don't like staying up past about 10 pm. I start getting tired by 8:30 or 9! However, I am wide awake in the morning. I love the early quiet at the beginning of day. I enjoy feeling energized and  ready to eagerly face whatever the day presents.
     It's a good thing that I'm not always in charge of every single aspect of my life but I can choose the important things that help me to develop what I hope is "good character". I try to be grateful and hopeful and willing to help. I do my best to make lemonade out of lemons.

No comments: