Friday, February 15, 2019

The final gender roles commentary

     In my efforts to research gender affects in sports, I have been a little surprised. I can't guarantee that the results I found are completely true. No matter what source anyone uses, it's possible to have bias. Even scientific researchers start out with a hypothesis and will experiment, sometimes with limited parameters, hoping to prove their hypothesis. Also, there are statistics that can "prove" almost anything if you look hard enough. With all that in mind, these are the things I found when I "researched" the affect of strenuous sports by gender. Strenuous exercise is generally defined as more than 2 1/2 hours or 3 times a week with elevated heart rate. The graph of sedentary to very strenuous exercise is a curve with the mortality rate of very strenuous similar to sedentary. I guess moderation in all things is a truth in activity. The healthiest sports (good fitness results with few injuries) are squash, rowing, rock climbing (that's a shocker!) and swimming which is the very safest. However, the deadliest (numbers of deaths occurring directly attributable) are base jumping, swimming (huh??- it must include drowning), cycling, running, and sky diving. The absolute most dangerous sport listed, with the most injuries, is cheerleading! I guess the development beyond just shouting rhymes, jumping up and down  and shaking pom-poms has resulted in pretty dangerous tricks.
     My motivation for researching this particular aspect of gender roles was my negative gut reaction to the suggestion of girls in wrestling and football, both contact sports. I have never been "good" in sports but I have always been active. I tend to be pretty clumsy with catching, hitting, or throwing balls and I am not a runner. However, I have always felt that females, although not interchangeable with males, have the potential to do nearly anything average males can do. Males tend to have greater upper body strength, especially among those who lift weights or exercise in a way to develop strength. As for other aspects of sport-fitness, I found this statement enlightening: Physiological differences within the sexes is greater than the difference between the sexes. Basically this means that there are greater strength, agility, speed differences among men or among women than the difference between the general population of males versus females. So gender does not dictate whether you can excel at any sport. I have always felt that women are fully capable competing in swimming, basketball, soccer, volleyball, tennis, etc. But I just can't feel good about girls playing football or wrestling. Is it due to my generational expectations? There is little evidence yet concerning the impact of girls in such aggressive contact sports. Wrestling focuses on weight- that's how the competitors are categorized. I remember a young man fainting off the back of the risers during a high school choir practice because he was a wrestler and was trying to lower his weight. I know that during teenage years there are some really important hormonal and brain developments going on. Bone loss has been seen among those involved in strenuous physical activity that could be attributed to an increase in stress hormones and how that impacts gender-based hormones as well as nutrition issues. I have been concerned with the discoveries concerning brain injuries, especially in boxing and in football. The highest rates of concussion are in rugby, lowest in American football with ice hockey and soccer in between. Among females specifically, the highest rates for concussions are in ice hockey and American football.
     So, early in my life, females wrestling has been limited to mud wrestling and catfights, with roller derby coming close. None of those are at all positive images for females. I appreciate strength and admire those females who join the service and can keep up on obstacle courses and running while carrying gear. So, why does female wrestling or football bother me? As an individual, I have never been competitive against others. I try to do my best just because I feel better when I have sincerely made a good effort. I realize that despite my abhorrence of violence, there are many occupations that require violence: dealing with criminals and  dealing with war to mention a couple which both involve lots of different branches. So, it's not the violence- although I really don't like the image of a 14 year old female red in the face trying to physically control another person simply for sport. I guess the only "legitimate" objections I can logically come up with are the concern for the hormonal and nervous system development among youth. As adults, anyone can choose whatever they want to do- as long as it doesn't interfere with another person's freedom and well-being. The risks inherent in rigorous contact sports just don't seem worth it. Women athletes often have disrupted menstrual cycles. If that occurs too much during development, what are the long-term effects? Repeatedly, I read that there is simply not enough evidence to make a determination. I know that male bodies continue to make sperm throughout life but females have only a limited supply of eggs. I know that having a girl here and there that wants to participate in a sport won't work because there needs to be a full team or at least a valid opponent. That will result in encouraging girls who may not really be interested to participate in something that could have risks not yet identified. Personally, I am not willing to agree to that. I just don't think it's necessary. I know boys are more physically aggressive than girls from the outset. Girls will color, dance, play with toys quietly while boys prefer to move and poke and be more physical. I just don't think we ought to be pushing young females to be more aggressive. I prefer to aim more efforts at being less aggressive across the board.
     Maybe I'm just old-fashioned and don't see it coming that genders will be interchangeable. I really don't think so. From what I have quoted in previous blogs, I think there are differences between males and females and it's supposed to be that way, for everyone's best benefit. If I have a granddaughter or great granddaughter who really wants to wrestle or play football, I will try to attend their event as much as I try to support any and all of my posterity. But I won't go out of my way to root for girls participating in contact sports.

No comments: