Friday, October 10, 2008

The final big project

The two bedrooms at the rear of the house were small, typical of a 1910 house. The closets for each were also very small, also typical for the era. We made a decision at the beginning that we would tear out the closets and walls to make one large master bedroom. We ran into some very unexpected major structural problems that caused near panic. After consulting my dad and some other builders, Russ formed an idea to deal with the problem. However, due to other things being higher priorities, our room has been the very last thing to get finished. This past week we plunged into the mess again, plaster dust, scraping and sanding plaster and wood, painting- to finally finish our room.This picture was toward the beginning of the project.This photo is from the same direction as the one above, from the north side of the house looking south. (I will have to refinish the bedroom doors but I can take them off the hinges and take them outside.) So we are officially DONE with the major plaster and sawdust messes in the house!
The picture below is from the south looking north to the "closet" end of the room. Having the floor filled in and refinished has made the room more unified so now it looks lovely!
This is the closet Russ built. I need to stain and varnish the closet doors and Russ will hang them but that is a pretty small detail after what we have had to do! What a relief.

1 comment:

Victoria said...

I can't believe how good it looks! This calls for some kind of celebration, I'm sure. Congratulations, now move on to the hard part, right? The fact that you're willing to put this beautiful house on the market, sell it, and move to who-knows-where just to be closer to me and the kids? Moves me more than you can know. I love you guys.