Sunday, February 19, 2017

Being strong

     I have been involved in choir singing for many years. Choir singing is very different from solo singing. In fact, many who are good singing alone don't work well singing in a choir, unless they are willing to make an effort to blend. Often choir sections end up being out of balance because there may be more of a particular voice than of others. But it isn't just a matter of volume. For example, if you had a choir of about 4 or 5 of each section: sopranos, altos, basses- but only one tenor and that tenor was strong so he could hold his part well. The choir would still be unbalanced. The one voice would need to be louder, more forced, to be heard, and thereby sounding different from the other sections blended from numerous more natural volume voices. Plus, the one strong voice is likely to tire more quickly and not remain consistent throughout a performance. The ideal for the choir as a whole and for each member is to have a balanced number so everyone is supported.
     I would relate this to spiritual strength. I can be defiantly strong in choosing to obey the Lord's commandments. I can be determined to follow His example no matter what is happening around me. But it's hard to feel meek and gentle if I'm feeling like I need to be strong and defiant. We all do better when we feel support around us. I will feel much more peace and comfort if I don't feel alone in my efforts. I will not tire so often nor as quickly. I am grateful for the Lord's encouragement and the Spirit's guidance. But I'm also really grateful for those who support the feeble knees and hold up the hands that hang down. It's nice to feel like I can get a breath when I need one without feeling like I have to be defiant and determined without ceasing. I'm grateful for the opportunity I had to work with missionaries in Nauvoo and for the opportunity I have had of knowing people who are not ashamed to call themselves followers of Christ nor hesitant about acknowledging there truly is an absolute right and wrong. The spiritual support we can give and gain helps us individually and makes the whole more powerfully satisfying.

No comments: