Monday, February 27, 2017

Where I live

     I just happen to be one of millions of people born in the United States of America. I can't take any credit for it because I didn't sacrifice anything to establish or maintain this country or even to get here. I can tell you some things I know about it: national boundaries are totally man-made and temporary, including this nation's boundaries. They can be moved or totally obliterated at any time. Secondly, although we are influenced by our ethnic make-up and cultural environment, all human beings are individually determined by their own choices. We may have an inclination for self-control or passion or religious zeal due to our birth circumstances, we can each still determine who we want to be. Third, throughout the history of the earth, our Creator has endeavored to make Himself known to us. He has wanted us to have the chance to make choices outside of His presence yet not left wholly to the influence of our more rebellious spiritual siblings led by Satan. To enable more opportunity for His children to learn about Him, He intervened by inspiring several people to play a part in establishing a country whose government would more freely allow the opportunity to spread His word. This country was established by God to permit the freedom of thought and choice sufficient to establish His church and extend His gospel teachings.
     Russ and I are watching a video college course on World History. The course is not focused on American history but obviously has to mention the USA as a part of the world. I want to quote some of the professor's words: Europeans frequently argue that as the United States became more important in world affairs the nation displayed a combination of inexperience and moralistic naivete that contrasted with the more sober, realistic approach that Europeans took..... Analysts have argued that the United States became more interested than Western Europe in promoting the destruction of colonialism and encouraging democracy. As a result, not only has this nation allowed its citizens the freedom to become acquainted with God, it has played an important role in influencing that same freedom everywhere.
     As has been common throughout the history of the world, as God blesses us and we prosper, we tend to turn away from Him. It is most often in moments of greatest despair or desperation that His children want anything to do with Him. I am amazed at His patience with us and disappointed that we become so easily prideful and chase our own selfish pleasures. I do not love this country because I think it's superior in its geography (although it has great beauty- so do other countries) nor because of its people (there are good people EVERYWHERE) nor any other feature outwardly recognizable. I am pretty ashamed of the decline in moral standards exhibited here but I love this country because God gave it to the world as a gift to enable us to come closer to Him. I am grateful that I have been given the opportunity to know about the example of Jesus Christ, God's love for me, and the atonement which gives me the singular opportunity to be sanctified sufficiently to some day re-enter my Father's presence after my sincere repentance. I am only temporarily an "American" but I hope to remain eternally a Christian because I am a daughter of God and I know it.

No comments: