Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Missing Ammon

I wonder how long it will take to stop having little shocks go through us during the day when something makes us suddenly think of Ammon. I have never experienced the loss of someone this close to me. Our family gatherings will probably continue to feel a little sad as we are all conscious of a missing person. When I think about a question about computers, I realize Ammon is no longer available to answer it. The grandkids are still missing their dad and, of course, Victoria is still trying to figure out how to cope with such a traumatic change to her life. It sure is easy enough these days to find things to feel sad, worried, or hopeless about. The newspaper doesn't seem to have any good news to report. But Russ and I spent the day yesterday with Ammon's children and Victoria and had a very nice day. The weather was beautiful with blue sky, puffy white clouds (we showed Jeremy how to look for shapes), and a pleasant breeze. Jeremy learned how to ride a two-wheel bike without training wheels with Grandpa's help. Kadon filled up the little compartment on the back of his tricycle with "food" (leaves, pine needles and mulch) while Brooklyn took a nap. Then we packed up some food and went to a lovely park to have a picnic supper followed by Kadon and Jeremy having a wonderful time running through water at the "wet playground". After a stop for ice cream, we went back to their house, I got the boys ready for bed and read them a story while Grandpa took the dog for a walk and Victoria fed the baby. We had a pleasant conversation, even talking about Ammon without all of us just ending up crying. Then Russ and I drove safely home and went to bed. The kids had laughed and been hugged and played with and well fed. It felt good.
Tomorrow I will paint the bedroom on the third floor and Russ will begin sheetrocking the second floor bathroom. YAY!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You guys are doing a great job with Ammons family and are setting a wonderful example to the rest of us as to how family members should work together, strengthen one another and support one another. We enjoy reading your blog and appreciate you sharing your lives with us. We miss you and keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

D & R Moore