Sunday, June 22, 2008

The (nearly) Final Result!

We chose a black and white color scheme for the bathroom hoping for a more authentic look to go with the clawfoot tub. Scott and Angela came to our rescue once again the day before James's family was to arrive. My hands have gotten really bad from the two months of no rest. The combination of over-use of the muscles, carpel tunnel syndrome, and arthritis have nearly cripples my hands. I find Aleve has enabled me to at least sleep at night although Russ massages my hands every morning just so I can bend my fingers. On Thursday I was struggling to do the last of the painting in the bathroom so the fixtures could be put in. An SOS phone call to Angela brought her family over to help. Tanis helped Grandpa put the toilet together. Scott painted the walls, Angela painted the door and some trim, the younger boys did some dusting and vacuuming.
Russ wasn't able to get the light fixture over the vanity to work with the electric box he had chosen so we had to give up on having that done about 2 hours from the time we were scheduled to go to the airport to pick up James's family. We still had to shower- BOY, did we need to shower!- and finish cleaning up the house. After traveling for about 24 hours, we wanted to have everything ready so they could just fall right into bed when they got here.




We were surprised at how large the bathroom appeared. I'm sorry I never got a real "before picture of it for comparison.

The little cabinet over the towel rods was an original to the house. When we removed it to do the sheetrock, we discovered that the back was a piece of wood, not plywood, that had been planed to the thickness of thin plywood. Most of the wood in this house is chestnut which isn't even available to buy anywhere anymore. It's beautiful and this room is the only place I gave into painting it rather than refinishing it.

No comments: