I have observed that there are sometimes people that come into your life that are like sponges. I hesitate to name anyone specific because I'm just needing to spout off and don't want to hurt anyone. I have known people who seem to be bottomless pits of need. They seem incapable of making good decisions for themselves or they lack confidence or the ability to think well. It seems they are always in need of encouragement, help, praise, or reassurance. I know I have been the recipient of all of those things but I sincerely hope I have never been a sponge, soaking up whatever someone else could offer to the point of their feeling depleted and glad to be distanced from me. I have known people who are so pessimistic and critical that they rarely have anything to offer that can give anyone hope or cheer. It requires a great deal of spiritual strength to not fall into feelings of despair when with them for repeated or extended times. It feels like being under a very dark cloud. I have know people who seem so tired or lacking in energy that it feels like you can never do enough for them and they would certainly not be anyone you could count on to do something for you except under very dire circumstances, and that's doubtful. You feel like every move is a tremendous effort or inconvenience. Being around them makes you feel like either taking a nap just to make time pass or run away to be where there is life and energy- even if it means being alone! I don't know if there is any remedy for sponges. I know we all have seasons in our lives when we are on top then on the bottom, when we are excited and hopeful or we are frightened and doubtful. But it's nice to have people in my life who would step right in to pick me up if I fell, physically or mentally or emotionally or spiritually. I know even the people who are provide an encouraging background to my daily thoughts and activities have issues to deal with and might need MY help or reassurance or encouragement. I really don't mind. I really like to help others, especially those who have helped me in even the smallest ways. But sponges are really a drag. I may love them very dearly but it's exhausting being around them.
1 comment:
Thank you for your great ability of being able to put my inner most thoughts in words. Love you and miss you!!
Kathy
Post a Comment