I get excited nearly every day as I watch the Lord work in the temple. I don't mean to imply that Jesus is returning tomorrow or the next day but I can really see Him hasten the work. Today I spent some time on the phone speaking to a woman in Istanbul, Turkey. She was setting up a time for a young man, a recent convert, to come to the Nauvoo temple to prepare for serving a mission in his native land. The LDS Church has only been legal in Turkey since 2011 so there is very little translated into their language yet. He is being accompanied here by a man whose son is attending BYU and will soon be going to the temple there (with his father and this Turkish young man) in preparation for serving a mission in Turkey as well. As I think of the various attitudes of people, members of the Church or not, concerning the Second Coming. There are those who have the "Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die; and it shall be well with us" (2 Ne 28:7) view of the world. And there are those who are more like: "Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come....Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh." (Matthew: 24:42-44)
Some people focus almost exclusively on having food storage, money in the bank, and weapons for defense. I really don't think that's what the Lord meant when he warned us to be ready. The most important thing we can do to be ready is to be personally ready to come face to face with our Savior. Will we be able to smile and run to His loving arms? Or will we want to hide our faces in shame? Will we be ready to live within His rules or will we think we have a better idea as to how things should be run? In other words, are we humble, grateful, and like Him---Or not???
No comments:
Post a Comment