Friday, September 25, 2015

Looking forward and looking back

     Today was a strange day in the Nauvoo temple. It was a combination of quiet/leisurely and amazing/exciting. We didn't have as many patrons as we normally expect on a Friday so it was quiet. However, it allowed some time for missionaries to speak to each other a little which is nice because we don't always get to socialize much. On the other hand, when we did do ordinance work, we did LOTS of names- very few temple-generated, mostly family file. It's amazing how much family history work is coming through from local residents as well as temple workers. Truly, Elijah has turned the hearts of the children to the fathers.
     The young man I have been excited about came to the temple today and is now on his way to Utah for general conference then will return to Turkey to be one of the first (if not THE first) native Turks to serve a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints there. Second of all, a couple came to the office to have some family names printed off and they were all from Judea, West Bank!!! The couple lives in Idaho and I don't know why they were here in Nauvoo. I often wish I could spend time to hear everybody's stories. It would be so fascinating, I'm sure! The woman told me she had been married to "this Christian Arab" for 54 years. His family has been Arab Christians since the time of Christ, she told me. Until recently, the records to enable them to do family history/temple work have been inaccessible. (I hesitate to use anyone's names because I would not want to be the cause of someone being a target. I don't mean to sound Chicken Little-ish but I have heard many scary stories about he anger against Christians in the Middle East, even here in the United States.) Nevertheless, the good news/Gospel is being extended to the Middle East, as well as China, India, and other places long closed to Christians.
     For me, this is yet another "sign" that the Lord is hastening His work to prepare the world for His return. I realize there are many people who would question my rationality. Let them question! I know what I know and I'm excited. I will continue to live so that when my Master returns, I will be doing what He would have me do.

No comments: