Thursday, September 03, 2015

No title really.....

     Today I watched a video about a woman who ended up addicted to crystal meth because she wanted to be thinner. I learned at least 2 things after watching and pondering.
Addiction is physical and spiritual, so is being released from addiction. We know that any form of addiction causes a tangible chemical change in the brain. You come to need whatever you're addicted to because there is a reaction of chemicals and impulses in your brain that urges you to have more of whatever it is from chocolate to heroin, from sex to attention. No amount of bribing, coaxing, pleading, or threatening from another person will "cure" an addiction. The person with the addiction has to have a genuine desire (after first acknowledging the existence of the addiction) to overcome the addiction. It is only that desire (often coming after bottoming out in some traumatic way) that will give the alternative brain impulses to withstand the urges. That desire is self-generated but can be assisted by a higher power- God. He is always aware of His children and ready to help but ONLY if asked. He is wise enough to know that we won't accept His help unless we have requested it. So overcoming addiction is a perfect example, for those with little or no faith, of something very real which you cannot see.
We determine our own image of ourselves, for good or bad. The woman in the film thought of herself as "fat" which is an all too common self-description. (me included!) However, all things are relative. If I were to spend time in Japan, I would probably think of myself as really large. However, if I spent time in some Polynesian countries, I would consider myself maybe even small. When I am around my grandchildren, I often feel old. But when I am surrounded by seniors who are a decade or more older than I am, I feel ashamed to ever complain about feeling old and tired. Being around PHD's I may feel under-educated but I feel better around children or people who spend all their free time watching useless tv and videos that only "entertain". How well we perform in our everyday lives is very much determined by our self-image. I think I can..... I think I can...... I think I can. If we choose to repeatedly put ourselves down, it's not being realistic. It's also not realistic to have a head swelled with too much pride. There are many people better than we are but there are many who are not as capable, smart, accomplished, slim, happy, etc. We can't expect to be surrounded by cheerleaders, although a smile and a pat on the back occasionally can give us a boost.  We need to CHOOSE to believe in ourselves. If we stumble, keep trudging on. If we fall, "pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again" as the song goes. The woman in the video admits that she led herself into addiction by a false self-image and unreal expectation. We are the ones who determine that- nobody else! But we should all make an effort to recognize that every human being needs to feel loved and accepted by someone, even if it's difficult. So we should give a smile or word of encouragement or compliment once in awhile- without being phony.

No comments: