Monday, September 14, 2015

Loved and grateful

     I genuinely wish I could share with those I love the feelings that are here in Nauvoo, especially in the temple and among temple workers and missionaries. It's not just feeling like a member of a club or being sentimental about the history of this place. Every single day there are wondrous "coincidences" that occur within the temple. Since I haven't ever worked in other temples, I don't know if this happens in other temples, too. I just know that I could tell a story nearly every day of some small miracle that takes us by surprise. Part of the feeling of peace is a result of seeing how the Lord Himself manages to work out even small details that we might be ready to fret over. People end up in just the right place at just the right time before we can get worked up about not knowing how we're going to handle a situation. Things just magically fall into place.
     In addition, there is the love among the missionaries here. There are many that I only know as Sister or Brother (or Elder) and know very little about their personal history. Yet there is such a warm feeling that radiates through smiles, handshakes, and even hugs. We can sincerely say we love each other despite not knowing each other well as far as the world would recognize. It would be nice if we could look forward to a continued relationship once we all leave here but, in reality, it's not likely. Everyone here has children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren that occupy their lives. We have two couples leaving early from here to serve in the presidencies of two other temples. Many of the missionaries here have served as mission presidents, stake presidents, Relief Society presidents, in temple presidencies, as temple sealers, or patriarchs and most have served at least one other mission- some are on their 5th or 6th mission! They are spunky, fun, hardworking, yet can be very serious and reverent. They have aches and pains, lots of things to worry about in their lives but they serve with whole hearts and pure intents. They all have different interests and backgrounds, different opinions on how things should best be accomplished sometimes yet everyone works together to get the job done without backbiting or bickering of any kind. I really dread returning to the "world" where insults are hurled, offenses taken, vengeances harbored, and resentments festered. I miss my family and friends we don't get to see often but I truly am sheltered here in the arms of the Savior's love.

No comments: