Tuesday, September 15, 2015

This is it

     I have never liked conflict. On the other hand, I have learned that hiding my head in the sand does not make conflict go away. I strive to find the good in everybody, including myself. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt. I have spent many hours, tears, and prayers on issues which cause conflict among those I love, predominantly lately, the issue of same-sex marriage. This post is to be my final attempt to explain  what I have discovered. I am not attempting to stand on a soap box or debate. As difficult and frustrating as it may be, I recognize that every human being has a God-given right to make their own choices as to who and what to believe. The latest struggle has been over the clerk who did not want to put her name on marriage licenses issued to same-gender couples. So this post is about how I have resolved that complex and controversial issue FOR MYSELF. (You can choose whatever you want.)
     I don't want to spend time discussing the basic issue of same-gender couples because I wrote on that way back on June 26. All I will say now is that you can look at "marriage" as a temporal (and temporary) legal contract or a heavenly covenant.  Paul wrote in 1 Corinthians "neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord." Also, in 1995, those I consider prophets, seers, and revelators sent out a proclamation to the world on the family.  In it they state "we... solemnly proclaim that marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God..." Because I believe that God exists and the Bible is His word and He has a living prophet on the earth today, I personally can only recognize true "marriage" as being a covenant between a man and a woman within the bounds the Lord has set. Otherwise it's just a piece of paper.
     I have thought about the concept that the law of our land now supposedly allows for anyone to marry who applies for a license. I struggle with the "law" itself because our country has mostly embraced laws enacted by the voice of the people. The Supreme Court is not elected by a majority of people. They "interpret" the Constitution according to their best educated opinions. I think it's very possible for them to interpret in ways that are contrary to what the voice of the people might be. I don't suggest we put to vote the issue of allowing same gender marriage. I really don't know how it would come out. However, a wise leader once said, "Now it is not common that the voice of the people desireth anything contrary to that which is right; but it is common for the lesser part of the people to desire that which is not right; (it's actually a very small minority who identify themselves as same-gender attracted)....And if the time comes that the voice of the people doth choose iniquity, then is the time that the judgments of God will come..." I have to leave judgment to God.
     On the other hand, when asked what was different about the church he founded, Joseph Smith wrote what is called 13 Articles of Faith. They describe what the LDS Church believes, whether similar or different from other churches. The 12th one states that we believe in honoring and sustaining the law along with obeying our political leaders.  I couldn't help but wonder about Corrie tenBoom or Schindler, or even Martin Luther King, Jr. or Rosa Parks or Ghandi. Were they disobeying the laws of their lands and rulers? I am a Latter Day Saint and I regularly claim to honor and sustain my country with its laws. I believe everyone should be an honorable citizen. On the other hand, leaders of the world can be really, really wrong. For me, the ultimate authority is God. Now, you might say, "God according to whom?" I can only quote for you more scripture, which I believe to be the word of God. "He that hath the spirit of contention is not of me, but is of the devil, who is the father of contention, and he stirreth up the hearts of men to contend with anger, one with another. Behold, this is not my doctrine, to stir up the hearts of men with anger, one against another..." (3 Nephi 11:30) "Behold there are save two churches only; the one is the church of the Lamb of God, and the other is the church of the devil.." (1 Nephi 14:10) "Behold, this is my doctrine- whosoever repenteth and cometh unto me, the same is my church." (D&C 10:67) Countries change boundaries and change laws. Rulers of countries change, often several times in one person's lifetime. God does not change. He wants us to know Him and partake of His wisdom which is superior to man's learning although it is even considered foolishness to man.
     If you own your own business, you need only serve customers you desire to have return. The town clerk, the stewardess, the clerk in a store, or anyone who works for an employer is hired to do what the "boss", whoever it is, wants them to do. You sell booze to an alcoholic. You provide cigarettes to someone dying of lung cancer. You even sign a legal application for marriage between whoever requests it. You are not responsible for their choices. God does not hold me responsible for unwise choices my children make. God will not hold that clerk responsible for the choice of two men to apply for a marriage license. She can issue it without fear of God's disapproval toward her. Mormon and Moroni in the Book of Mormon managed to continue to lead in battle for a people too far gone in iniquity to even care about God despite their sorrow and attempts to get them to listen. Jonah was commanded to enter Ninevah. Lot lived in Sodom and Gomorrah until told to leave. I live here on this earth until God decides I'm done. I don't want to participate in constant contention. I will avoid debate. I will obey laws to the best of my ability. I will respect others' right to choose even if I worry about the consequences for them. On the other hand, I will never deny the existence nor superiority of God. I will worry more about obeying Him than obeying any earthly authority. I can only pray for love and peace and do whatever my small part to bring that about.

No comments: