I recently posted on Facebook that unsolicited advice is often perceived as implied criticism. I believe that as a true concept but I'm not sure how to incorporate it into my life. On the receiving side, I guess I need to consider when someone offers a suggestion that they truly have some experience or knowledge I lack and simply want to help. If they are being critical, maybe they're having a bad day so they are seeing a lot of negative angles. Maybe they're a critical personality and don't mean to hurt me personally, they just don't have the ability to see anybody or anything in a positive light. They need to be constantly "adjusting" the world around them. That's their problem, not mine. But I also need to remain humble enough to consider whether their suggestion, whatever their own motivation, may actually be helpful to me. Maybe I need to consider changing my own perception or methods. If on quick consideration, I see no benefit to their idea, I can just cheerfully accept their "suggestion" and let it go. Dwelling on it, stewing about it, harboring resentment about it, is not going to be constructive. This is where that serenity prayer comes in about helping to accept or knowing when to change and discerning the difference.
As for the flip side- as I get older, I find I have had many years to ponder things. I have read and experienced some things resulting in understandings that I am anxious to share. I have a great desire to help others, ease suffering, accomplish things, and such. Sharing is not always received, whether it's well-motivated or a simple desire to control the outcome. I often ponder what someone else has expressed to me as a frustration or trial for a long time before offering suggestions. Sometimes I offer advice on the spot if it seems needed. I have been the recipient of unsolicited advice that was offered by someone I wasn't aware had a knowledge I lacked about something. That has been helpful at times. So I can consider that as a possibility. I guess the bottom line on the side of offering unsolicited advice is that I should err on the side of silence. If I feel really strongly motivated to say something or step in and help, I should probably do it. Otherwise, maybe it's best if I just smile, nod, and offer encouragement, and be patient, long-suffering, loving, etc. I would love to have conversations about such concepts but not everybody enjoys such interactions. So I will continue to search, ponder, and pray.
No comments:
Post a Comment