When we pack boxes to move, we generally write labels on them so we will know where to put them when we arrive at a new home or maybe even know which box to look in if we need to find something. Anyone who has ever done this realizes that sometimes an inappropriate item may get placed in a box simply because the box it should have gone in is full or has already been taped. We have always packed and moved ourselves but our children, who move frequently due to government positions, have had experience with packers and movers. Some of the labels on boxes have been pretty funny when the boxes get opened and the contents examined. Labeling boxes is a way to organize or simplify our lives.
Recently we had the opportunity to attend a "World Religion Day" which was a gathering of representatives from several different churches, or "belief systems" for the purpose of education and dialogue. Differences in religious beliefs have been a cause for much contention over the history of the earth. There are so many people on the earth and each person is different so the varieties of opinion and belief are countless! It's not likely that we are going to "convert" everybody to our belief on all issues but it's worthwhile to at least explain to others what we believe and maybe why. At this event there was a panel discussion on the questions, "What can we do to heal the earth? What are you willing to give up to accomplish it?" There is a general awareness that there are some serious issues ecologically for the planet as well as issues of violence, justice, and need for peace between human beings. As vague as it may sound, the most likely solution that was offered and with which I agree, is LOVE: love of the earth to take care of it and love of fellow men to live with them rather than compete or rule over them. I spoke to a representative of one of the churches afterward who had especially worded this idea well. I told her I had recently visited Jerusalem and had wanted to describe a little of what I saw and felt there but the time in the meeting wasn't sufficient to do so. I tried to explain in few words that the biggest problem I could see was NOT between any 2 specific religions but was due to our tendency to pre-judge according to labels we place on people. The labels we use are determined by gender, nationality, political and religious affiliations, as well as cultural preferences. The problem with those labels is that, much as it gives us the feeling that we "know" who a person is, it is often inaccurate. We too often tend to try to put people in a box where they don't fit. At this point in the conversation, the woman, previously totally unknown to me, said the same words at the same time which indicated to me that she fully understood what I was saying. We both smiled at this chance converging of understanding and hugged each other. I don't even remember the name of the church she was there to represent and I don't know whether she will remember that I am LDS. It doesn't matter. The names we use are just labels and not everyone who receives such labels is the same. There are a wide variety of Mormons, a wide variety of Jews, Catholics, Muslims, Hindus, Baptists, Jehovah Witnesses, and on and on. We tend to embrace whichever established belief system most closely matches our personal beliefs. But not one of us on the earth has all knowledge..........yet. God has promised to share with us all that He has- which is a LOT! But we don't have it yet and wouldn't know what to do with it if we had. Line upon line, precept upon precept, we will gain all that the Father has. As we learn truth and wisdom, we will come closer together and be more similar and know how to get along peacefully. This will never be done by law or coercion of any kind. Zion will exist when we all understand how to live Zion principles. The city of Enoch, referred to in the Old Testament, figured it out enough that they were "taken up" to be with God so there's hope for us mortals. Not everyone really has a sincere desire to embrace truth or to learn wisdom. For some people simply being top dog is what matters. Just like the old game "king of the hill"- there can only be ONE at the top. It's a lonely position. Personally, I look forward to being peaceful and embracing MANY others- sharing rather than conquering. I won't do that by caving in or trying to be without principles so that I can match whoever I'm with. I will simply continue to read, study, learn, pray, meditate, and search to find the best, the truth that works for peace and good will to all men. Others who want to can do that, too. I'll meet you there!
No comments:
Post a Comment